Medicinal Chemistry is a discipline that involved with search,discovery, design, identification, and synthesis of biologically active compounds (drugs), drug metabolism study, interpretation of drug mechanism of action at molecular level, and chemical structure-activity relationships (SAR) of serial compounds. Medicinal chemistry is a highly interdisciplinary science combining chemistry, biology, medical, and pharmaceutical sciences.
Research activities in medicinal chemistry is important for the development of Indonesia, especially in health area, i.e. in finding new drugs, either from natural resources or synthetic compounds. Discovery of drugs are generally started from screening of natural materials traditionally used for treatment of illness, followed by isolation of active compounds, followed by semi-synthesis or total synthesis of the compounds. The active compound can be used as lead compound to be further developed to the more active and more selective compounds, with minimum side effect and toxicity, through rational drug design. Before synthesis, in silico study of interaction between drug and receptor using modern computer program (molecular modeling) is important to minimize trial and error. Then study on relationship between structure, chemical properties (lipophilic, electronic, and steric) and biological activity is carried out either two or three dimensionally.
Considering the importance of those issues, University of Indonesia Faculty of Pharmacy , Airlangga University Faculty of Pharmacy, Gadjah Mada University Faculty of Pharmacy, ITB School of Pharmacy, Indonesian Medicinal Chemists Association (PERAKMI), and Indonesian Institute of Science (LIPI) will jointly hold International Conference on Medicinal Chemistry and Timmerman Award 2013.
The theme of the conference is “Exploring Lead Compounds from Nature Biodiversity in Drug Discovery“. Hopefully this conference will give positive impacts in enhancing the role of medicinal chemistry in drug development in Indonesia.
At the end of the conference, Timmerman Award will be presented to the outstanding Indonesian young chemists working in medicinal chemistry. There will be a prize for the best poster presentation.
PLACE AND TIME
This conference will be held on:
Place : Center for Japanese Studies (Pusat Studi Jepang) Universitas Indonesia, Depok-Indonesia
Time : Tuesday and Wednesday, October 29th – 30th 2013
10 SKP by Indonesian Pharmacist Association (IAI)
Keynote Speakers *
- State Minister of Research and Technology (*)
- Prof. Dr. Henk Timmerman (Vriye Universiteit,The Netherland) (Scopus)
Plenary Lecture (Alphabetically ordered)
- Prof. Go Mei Lin, Ph.D. (National University of Singapore,Singapore) (PubMed)
- Prof Dr. Habibah A. Wahab (Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia) (Scopus)
- Prof Ikuro Abe, PhD. (The University of Tokyo) (Scopus)
- Hiroki Tanimoto, Ph.D. (Nara Institute of Science and Technology,Japan) (Scopus)
- Prof. Kiyomi Kakiuchi, Ph.D. (Nara Institute of Science and Technology,Japan) (Scopus)
- Prof. Masahiro Toyota, PhD., (Osaka Prefecture University, Japan) (Scopus)
- Prof. Dr. Muhammad Hanafi (Indonesian Science Institute) (Scopus) (Pubmed)
- Nico Tjandra, Ph.D. (National Institute of Health, USA) (Scopus) (Pubmed)
- Prof. dr Rob Leurs (Vriye Universiteit,The Netherland) (Scopus)
- Prof. Dr. Sismindari (Gadjah Mada University) (Scopus)(Scholar)
- Prof. Dr. Yahdiana Harahap (University of Indonesia) (Scopus)(Scholar)
*To be confirmed
More info click http://icmcta2013.com